Hawks Fall in Spring Break Finisher

ST. GEORGE – A chilly night under the lights resulted in another close loss for Fort Lewis, falling to RMLC newcomer Utah Tech 13-9.The loss drops Fort Lewis to 4-3 on the season and 1-2 in conference play. 

The game started with teams trading turnovers before UTU was able to capitalize on a defensive breakdown to take the lead, followed later by a transition look to give the Trailblazers a 2-0 lead. 

Fort Lewis would respond though with Jasper Iaconis finding the net off a Karl Schenck assist. Braden Lindsey would follow that up with a blast from the alley to tie the game. 

Two more from UTU turned momentum back for the home team, but freshman LSM Trent Richardson ended that by taking a groundball off a faceoff down for his fourth goal in the last three games, bringing the Skyhawks within one after one. 

Utah Tech would seize control of the game though in the second as FLC struggled with turnovers in costly situations, giving the blazers a number of unearned possessions, resulting in four more goals, which was only matched by a goal from hometown hero Matt Miller, resulting in a 8-4 deficit at the half.

Both defenses clamped down after half with UTU finding three goals in the third quarter compared to a lone goal from Braden Lindsey. 

Fort Lewis would make things interesting though in the fourth, going on a quick three goal run to close the gap to 11-8 with 10 minutes to go. However, the clearing game let the team down in the fourth as it seemed the defense ran out of steam, letting UTU melt the clock away and close out the game. 

Of note, all four fourth quarter goals were assisted for the Skyhawks to total six assists for the game, highlighted by a four assist effort from senior Karl Schenck.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s