Snow Can’t Stop Skyhawks

After a drive that took over 8 hours due to an untimely snowstorm, the Fort Lewis Skyhawks lacrosse team arrived in Denver on a short night’s sleep.  When they arrived at the field for an early game against the Colorado School of Mines Orediggers at Golden High School in Golden, CO there was still a full inch of snow covering the whole field.  Luckily, the day would turn out to be beautiful, both in weather and on the field for the Fort as they enjoyed a home town feel in front of many friends and family members on the front range.  The 12-1 FLC victory was also the first RMLC win of the season for the Skyhawks.

The Skyhawks jumped out to a 6-1 lead in the first quarter, scoring on their first 6 shots on goal, and they never looked back.  The Fort Lewis midfield came ready to play, as captain Brooks Wilcox led all scorers with 2 goals and 2 assists while controlling 4 out of 5 faceoffs.  His linemate, Holden Randle added 2 goals and an assist while junior midfielder Sam Anderson received the game ball for his 1 goal, 1 assist effort and complete endline to endline control of the field.  It was a complete team effort for the Skyhawks, as the defense held Mines to only 7 shots on the day.  Eight different players had a point for the Fort, as attackmen Max Segal and Conor Henricks had hat tricks again, aided by James Rott’s 3 assists.

Despite the third straight game in wild weather, Fort Lax has shown their resiliency and a team spirit that is undeniable.  There is still a lot of room for improvement, and the next game against Metro State at 9am will come even quicker thanks to daylight savings time.  After another long drive home, the Fort will take on D1AA Utah State at home in Durango at 5pm Tuesday afternoon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s