Fort Lax Mires Mines 10-9

On Friday evening, April 16 dodging lighting and rain, Fort Lewis lacrosse faced off against the Colorado Mines Orediggers under the lights at the FLC stadium field.

The Hawks offense got off to another fast start when attackman Erik Johnson drove around the goal, passed to senior midfielder Dan Riecks who pinged the net with a solid over head shot just 90 seconds into the game. Four minutes later Riecks made a crafty dodge to beat his defender with another goal from midfield to make it 2-0. Face-off specialists Fred Waddle and Bob Berding continued to dominate the draw allowing the offense to control the ball. Dan Riecks continued to sizzle as he assisted Andy Grenhart for a slick inside goal. Riecks kept up his offensive wizardy as as he found middie Bob Berding near the crease for another Hawk’s tally. Andy Grenhart then buried his second goal to close out the first quarter with the Hawks up 5-2.

FLC’s midfield and defense shut out the Orediggers for the second quarter, allowing FLC’s offense lengthy possessions. Erik Johnson was able to find power shooting middie Fred Waddle for Waddle’s first goal of the game. With Mines’ defense collapsing on Waddle, Waddle was able to pass to Andy Johnson who tallied the second goal of the quarter. Erik Johnson was able to drive from behind, turn the corner and beat the Orediggers goal tender for the third score of the quarter.

With FLC dominating all aspects of the game, the Hawks began the second half up 8-2. Mines came out for the second half playing mentally tough and scrapping for every ball. With a tough ride, the Orediggers created numerous turnovers and were able to capitalize with 2 goals early in the third period to end the quarter 8-4.

With the momentum shifting to Mines, the Orediggers continued their scrappy midfield play and high pressure defense, and were able to hit the net again 3 minutes into the fourth period. With the Hawk’s offense unable to control the ball, or connect for quality scores, the FLC defense of Jon Bock, Matt Cawley, Mike Kelly, and Drew Larson had to fight through long possession by Mines. With a solid run of 4 quality goals by Mines, the Orediggers were able to pull ahead 9-8 with 4 minutes left in the game. The Hawk’s 25 minute scoring drought finally ended as Erik Johnson assisted Dan Riecks for Rieck’s third goal of the game – tying the score at 9-9.

As the clock wound down to less than 2 minutes left in the game, Riecks dodged past his defender, and assisted senior Bob Berding who beat the Orediggers goalie with a pinpoint shot to pull the Hawks ahead 9-8.

FLC’s next game is against Western State on Sunday, April 18 at FLC.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s